10/16/21; Week 5: "Culture Differences Concerning Time"

How does culture affect time?

Defining a little bit...

    When we are talking about time we can divide countries into two categories, monochronic and polychronic. Monochronic refers to valuing time and procedures, someone in this category will be punctual and conclude a task before passing to do something else, while polychronic can be chaotic with time, multitask, and won't prioritize schedule over relationships.

A little about my experience...

    I grew up in a bicultural house, my mom is a polychronic Mexican while my dad is a monochronic American. I don't define myself as exclusively one, I adapt to the circumstances and act accordingly, though I would say I have some tendency to be more monochronic sometimes. 
    While I appreciate time and think that is a way to show respect when you follow schedules, I also see how prioritizing relationships over procedures can be more inviting, and natural for others. An example I can give you is when I have to get to friend activities, I will prepare ahead of time to get on time, and even stress when things like traffic delay me, but once I am at the meeting site we won't start anything until everyone is there because it would be "heartless" otherwise, and I don't have problem with it. I have learned to live both ways and enjoy the pros and cons of each one.

About education...

    As a student, my schools would work more in a polyphonic way, the students would become friends with the teacher, and if they had any problem with a due date or the schedule they easily negotiate with the teacher and fix it. My dad would talk to me about his experience in a monochronic school and how precious time is. As a future TESOL teacher, I am aware that I will have to adapt to my students' culture and their view of time. I think it would be splendid if I could use both and help my student to have a new view in time.

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

10/26/21; Week 7: "Differences in Manners"

10/21/21; Week 6: "Individualism vs. Collectivism"

10/16/21; Week 5: "Cultural Paradigms"